Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Oklahoma City Are New NASL Expansion Team for 2016-Rayo OKC 
Starting XI

Manitobalex wrote:
My first thought that this may be too "progressive" for Oklahoma!

It's not all Rogers and Hammerstein out there, OKC is actually a pretty average city. It reminded me a fair bit of Edmonton, only it has more than a few older buildings. If, one day, we actually go to watch a road game, it'd be worth considering.

Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:34 am
Super-Star

Rayo OKC's parent club, Rayo Vallecano, are going into the final La Liga Match Day in the relegation zone, with the table looking like so.

17 Getafe 36
R Sporting Gijon 36
R Rayo Vallecano 35
R Levante 32

One has to wonder, what impact will the relegation of the parent club have on Rayo OKC? How financially dependent is OKC on Vallecano? If the parents do fall under, will OKC suffer? We'll need to watch the drama unfold.

SUNDAY, MAY 15TH. 1130 AM. RAYO VALLECANO v LEVANTE. As NASL fans, we should be watching and rooting for a Vallecano win here.

Tue May 10, 2016 8:24 am
Substitute

How profitable is Vallecano? I know that relegation in the Swedish hockey system can be a serious financial blow to a franchise. Is it the same in La Liga? If their fan base resembles the Oilers or Leafs, then even a league down they will still have more than enough cash to run OKC. Anyone have any numbers on this?

Fri May 13, 2016 4:21 pm
Starting XI

Scottish Teeth wrote:
How profitable is Vallecano? I know that relegation in the Swedish hockey system can be a serious financial blow to a franchise. Is it the same in La Liga? If their fan base resembles the Oilers or Leafs, then even a league down they will still have more than enough cash to run OKC. Anyone have any numbers on this?

Numbers? Bosh! Flimshaw!

When I was in Madrid a few years ago, we went and watched them play on a Monday night against another since relegated side, Zaragosa. It's an older, smaller ground, holds about 18k, maybe 60% full, if the Eskimos aren't in town.... ;) They're traditionally a Liga Adelante(First Division) team, they play in a pretty ancient ground in the middle of a neighbourhood, they make enough to pay their bills, but not much else.

Relegation really depends on the 5Ws of the situation. There don't seem to be a pool of 6 or 7 "yo-yo" teams like in England, relegation usually takes about 5 years to get over. Some teams often take another dive before they're able to get it back together, like the last time Vallecano was sent down. The 2009ish era actually killed off a longer-standing team that had been in La Liga (UD Salamanca, in 2013). Part of the reason for their demise was too many seasons after being sent down.

Their fan base will be fine. Vallecas is a relatively working class area of Madrid, but it's far removed enough from the city centre that people keep it local. Their supporters are tied up in a lot of left wing politics, which meant that prior to Real Madrid clearing out some of their more fascist supporters groups, the Policia Nacional earned their pay keeping them apart.

You would hope that both they and the NASL did even a bit of homework concerning the ability of the team to pay the bills if Rayo were relegated. It's not the team itself that owns its NASL cousin, but the team's owner, which I'm not as big of a fan of.

Sun May 15, 2016 7:20 am
Super-Star

Rayo Vallecano are officially relegated to Liga Adelante for the 2016/2017 Season. Rayo V have 35% interest in Rayo OKC. However, talk around the water-cooler notes that 3 years worth of funds are set aside, so Rayo OKC is in the clear until then.

Mon May 16, 2016 12:45 pm
Super-Star

https://youtu.be/MyE1xW7Dxpc

Rayo Vallecano manager Paco Jemez crying in the most manly way on the pitch after his side got relegated on the final day of the La Liga season.

Tue May 17, 2016 9:28 am
Coach

Relegation, without a doubt, will cause a financial hit for the Spanish Rayo. Being in LigaB will hurt the bottom line primarily from an exposure and sponsorship level. That said though, Rayo as a club is a culture. The culture of Rayo will not be damaged by demotion because they've been there before. Rayo fans are some of the most loyal and committed in all of Europe.

I have perhaps posted this in another thread but it's worth a re-post.

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum

Tue May 17, 2016 12:20 pm
Super-Star

Rayo OKC is on fire...in the bad way however.

Firstly, Rayo OKC's head coach "stepped down" yesterday. Most likely, however, is that this was a decision from the parent club. http://newsok.com/article/5512579

Additionally, this:

Quote:
Sold Out Strategies, the operating management group of Rayo, has also left the organization.

“Sold Out Strategies has parted ways with Rayo OKC,” Brad Lund said.

Lund is part-owner of Sold Out Strategies.

Marcina also said he wouldn't go into much detail but offered a statement.

“Recent changes in administration have resulted in vast differences of opinion which could not be reconciled,” Marcina said.

An email was sent to The Oklahoman late Thursday announcing the news of Marcina's departure as well as introducing new head coach Gerard Nus.

Nus comes to Oklahoma City from Madrid, Spain, the home of Rayo Vallecano, which is the majority owner of Rayo OKC. Nus was serving as the assistant technical director of Rayo Vallecano.

Furthermore, here are some things Vallecano has pushed onto Rayo as cost savings measures. https://twitter.com/ScissortailPod/stat ... 3864173568

1) Presa (Rayo Vallecano President) demanded that the team bus to every away match to save $. Good luck bussing to @PRFootballClub. Indy is closest at ~12 hrs away.

2) B/c they no longer have anyone to install/remove the nexxfield, they want to play on the football field underneath that is too narrow.

3) Did we mention they forced out the FO and head coach of a team in 3rd place on the table? They will try to operate with 2 coaches only.

4) The gentlemen here from Spain are on TOURIST VISAS. One call to our friends at @TravelGov should help straighten that out.

5) If the .@naslofficial wants OKC to stick and/or ever seek foreign investors in the league again, they must stop this stupidity now.

6) The .@RayoOKC Gameday Ops consists of 5 people. 2 who stayed from existing FO and 3 on tourist visas. For a crowd of 4K ppl on 8/20.

@RayoOKC players wanted sorely to walk out with Marcina. Stayed when Alen told them they have contracts that need fulfilled.

Sources say the number of FO members remaining is approximately half the number previously employed.

Turbulent times in OKC. Idk if this team will exist beyond the Fall Season.

Fri Aug 05, 2016 10:09 am
Referee

Fri Aug 05, 2016 10:39 am
Profile WWW
Referee

Latest sounds like coaches weren't getting paid on time, which contributed to their leaving.

Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:15 am
Reply to topic   [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next