Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Ottawa and Tampa Bay to USL for 2017 
Starting XI

Today the Tampa Bay Rowdies and Ottawa Fury FC announced they're jumping to the USL for next season. This means as of right now, NASL has 11 teams lined up for 2017. I'd personally suspect it'll drop to 10 between Fort Lauderdale and OKC, but that's just me. Anyhow...

Ottawa announcement.

http://www.ottawafuryfc.com/news/2016/10/25/ottawa-fury-fc-to-join-the-usl-for-2017-season

According to the team, they'll still play in the Canadian Championship.

NASL's barely a statement statement.

http://www.nasl.com/news/2016/10/25/nasl-releases-statement-on-tampa-bay-and-ottawa-announcements

EDIT: NASL's statement did mention half a dozen "serious" expansion discussions. This also opens up a Canadian spot in the league, although with Ottawa gone, Hamilton's interests have to go towards the USL. Anyway, silly season in the NASL has begun early. Anyone else appreciate the timing? What a gut punch.

Tue Oct 25, 2016 1:24 pm
Referee

Also with the talk that Rayo and the Strikers might not be in operation next season it sure looks grim for the NASL.

Hopefully they have a few cards up their sleeves that they can play fast to make the NASL attractive again.

Tue Oct 25, 2016 1:46 pm
Profile WWW
Coach

It would suck for the Faths, due to the money that they have invested in the league, but perhaps NASL going belly up and FCE moving to CanPL or, the much larger now, USL will be better in the long run. USL would then be Div 2, so its not like we would be going down, per se. Also, if the USL has more western teams, it might be better on the travel budget.

Tue Oct 25, 2016 2:52 pm
Referee

To be honest, silly season never really ended in the NASL.

Here's what Adam and I have heard through a few sources:
- Rayo OKC will be sitting out next year, but will be looking for a new home and will be back in 2018
- Several different ownership groups have been looked at for Strikers. Haven't heard anything recently though
- League just discussed 2017 scheduling with the clubs currently expected to be playing. What I know is that they're expecting 9 clubs, with a 16 game spring season, and a 16 game fall season

We talked a bit about what the departures were caused by, and what they meant tonight in Ep 84 of the Loyal Co of the River Valley pod.

http://traffic.libsyn.com/loyalcompanyrv/LCRV_Ep_84.mp3

Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:13 pm
Star Player

So what happens on December 4th if Soccer Canada says to the Ottawa Fury: "no you cannot move to the USL."
What's to stop them?
Do they fold the franchise and then take it south to some backwater city in the U.S. mid-west?
If they say "no" does that effectively kill professional soccer in the nation's capital?
I guess what confuses me most is this hold Soccer Canada has on virtually every professional and amateur soccer team in the country.
It makes no sense to me whatsoever why a sports franchise owner in Canada can't do what he/she/they want to do with THEIR franchise without having to go through some national governing body full of would be politicos..
I know we're talking the North American model versus the rest of the world...but after all this is North America and the sports franchise model that is the CFL, NFL,NHL, MLB and so on seems to be working just fine.
I'm not trying to hijack this thread, just trying to understand.

Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:25 pm
Starting XI

italk2u wrote:
So what happens on December 4th if Soccer Canada says to the Ottawa Fury: "no you cannot move to the USL."
What's to stop them?
Do they fold the franchise and then take it south to some backwater city in the U.S. mid-west?
If they say "no" does that effectively kill professional soccer in the nation's capital?
I guess what confuses me most is this hold Soccer Canada has on virtually every professional and amateur soccer team in the country.
It makes no sense to me whatsoever why a sports franchise owner in Canada can't do what he/she/they want to do with THEIR franchise without having to go through some national governing body full of would be politicos..
I know we're talking the North American model versus the rest of the world...but after all this is North America and the sports franchise model that is the CFL, NFL,NHL, MLB and so on seems to be working just fine.
I'm not trying to hijack this thread, just trying to understand.

In theory nothing, but in practice that would really hurt the sport in Canada. If I'm the owner and the CSA says no, I put the team on hiatus and head to court. That simple. I'd be utterly floored if that happened.

Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:46 pm
Manager

jedinathan wrote:
To be honest, silly season never really ended in the NASL.

Here's what Adam and I have heard through a few sources:
- Rayo OKC will be sitting out next year, but will be looking for a new home and will be back in 2018
- Several different ownership groups have been looked at for Strikers. Haven't heard anything recently though
- League just discussed 2017 scheduling with the clubs currently expected to be playing. What I know is that they're expecting 9 clubs, with a 16 game spring season, and a 16 game fall season

We talked a bit about what the departures were caused by, and what they meant tonight in Ep 84 of the Loyal Co of the River Valley pod.

http://traffic.libsyn.com/loyalcompanyrv/LCRV_Ep_84.mp3

Strikers are preparing to be back in 2017 and are holding tryouts in December. Gunter K's groups still being talked about re a purchase of the Strikers, would be a real positive for them if it happens as Gunter is committed to the NASL. I think NASL might get to 10 clubs for 2017 but the 9 clubs schedule looks good with the balanced season at least.

Sun Nov 06, 2016 8:39 pm
Trialist

Well with the current success of both Montreal and those clowns in Toronto soccer Canada has got to be paying some attention that there IS success in the sport, so why hinder Ottawa? Heck they should be encouraging MORE Canadian based teams.

Scary part is their answer may very well be setting Canada as it's own CSL with all the teams under the one league level. I've been hearing that suggestion being thrown about and wonder if that's the direction they need to go? :shock:

As long as we still have a team from New York City to humiliate I'm just fine. :lol:

Sun Nov 06, 2016 10:40 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]