Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
NASL General Thread 
Super-Star

A thread for any and all little bits of NASL news/signings/highlights

First up, this amazing bicycle kick by former Chelsea star Joe Cole against Puerto Rico FC

https://twitter.com/TampaBayRowdies/sta ... wsrc%5Etfw

Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:56 am
Super-Star

NASL officiating coming under fire for inconsistency and potential favoritism. It's gotten to the point where the Rowdies compiled a video of all the discrepancies they've experienced thus far this season.

http://www.thisiscosmoscountry.com/nasl ... -savarese/

Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:08 am
Substitute

Been on an NASL kick lately - (I get a tad bit bored of MLS sometimes...)

a subjective and honest opinion of overall "health" for the league

EXCELLENT
New York - still model franchise despite lower attendance #s
Indianapolis - great attendance and atmosphere, huge to NASL marketing
Minnesota - will be losing them to MLS soon, but NASL can still leech some marketing efforts from them
Tampa Bay - all around fantastic club, I love what this club is doing in Tampa-area. Great stadium too.

GOOD
Carolina - a good solid club that will likely neither grow or diminish
Jacksonville - a decent club in all areas but beginning to falter a bit with exposure/attendance
Miami - lots of money, owners have good networking connections, still a tough sell in S. Florida
Ottawa - a consistent club that NASL needs to and relies on to perform every year off/on the pitch
San Francisco (estimate) - these guys look good so far. Have sold a lot of season tix, owners are well-connected, I like what they're doing there.

FAIR
Edmonton - attendance is holding it back in a big way, besides that a solid club with lots of areas of growth possibilities but must get over attendance hurdle
Puerto Rico - historically PR is "meh" in pro leagues dating back to the USL days. So I put them here, although ownership is stronger this time around.

POOR
Fort Lauderdale - great history and theme, but failing to tap into stubborn S. Florida market
Oklahoma City - Rayo looked like an okay club until recent news, hard to make a positive from this though, hopefully it will work itself out.

Sun Aug 07, 2016 11:15 pm
Profile WWW
Super-Star

Good assessment! I few comments:

- The Cosmos are only a model franchise because foreign owners pump cash into it. In truth, I think lower attendance and playing at a college field would be a concern for any team that couldn't overlook such things with cash. (ie: Man City.)
- Indy could succeed as an MLS franchise if they chose to. Expensive barrier to entry tho, but Indy has the ability to make the profits to cover the fee. A true success in getting a tough pointy ball market to back a soccer team.
- Miami is tough for me to assess. I think they've marketed the team all wrong. I think the city is still largely holding out for an MLS franchise. Plus, Miami management has had questionable signing tactics.
- Ottawa has been a study in the success of soccer in this country. Unfortunately, the Eddies don't get the same exposure as the Fury.
- San Fran have tested their market thoroughly. They've taken a long time in finding their supporters to ensure moderate success, and credit to them if they achieve it.
- Puerto failed before, it'll fail again. It's not sustainable for them to play in an American league, despite their relations with the country.
- Fort Lauderdale's struggles aren't a failure to "tap in." I have no clue what it is, given their average attendance last season was its highest ever at 4471. Plus, endorsement by Ronaldo Luís Nazário de Lima should have helped that, right? Nope. Their average now is hovering 1200. Strange things happening there.

Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:05 am
Referee

Fantastic assessment. I would argue with PRFC having a death sentence though. A really big reason that the islanders failed is that they were very heavily reliant on the government for subsidies. When the gov changed, they lost any chance they had. With a big name owner who's got a metric ton of cash coming in, I think they're more sustainable now than they were back then. Just my opinion though.

Interesting to note that there is a regularly scheduled board of gov meeting happening this week in Atlanta. Curious if Chicago will be announced (aiming for 2018 start from what I hear) or if we'll get answers to Rayo or any more expansion rumours.

Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:51 am
Coach

I thought that I read that the San Fran team was in trouble because the owners were worried about an expensive court battle with US Soccer over the moving Div 1 requirements.

Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:38 am
Referee

Flips wrote:
I thought that I read that the San Fran team was in trouble because the owners were worried about an expensive court battle with US Soccer over the moving Div 1 requirements.

Think you're thinking of the rumored LA team, which was being looked at by Sting (the singer). Apparently it was actually his son, and they've been scared off by that.

Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:03 am
Coach

jedinathan wrote:
Flips wrote:

Think you're thinking of the rumored LA team, which was being looked at by Sting (the singer). Apparently it was actually his son, and they've been scared off by that.

Ah.. you are right. It was the LA Team. Too bad.. because 2 west coast teams would be helpful.

Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:02 am
Substitute

Good follow ups :)

Really hoping New York can get their stadium, I still think 20k is way too large, they should make a very intimate 12k-15k seater. It's still looking on the fence at this moment, but given the struggles they've experience, who knows.

Indy's MLS bid is with a very high price tag. From this point on, any MLS expansion side is going to need to have mega money. The days of $100-mil price tags are over. MLS knows they can maximize, especially w/ rich NFL owners now looking.

SF and Chicago are interesting because there is actually decent support behind both. SF looks a bit fanboy-ish to me, but it works well for that area. Californians (mainly Bay Area/LA) in general are notorious for being band-wagoneers, so you do what you have to do I guess. I do really like their promo intro a few months back: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27BH7yCf9rQ

Chicago has Peter Wilt behind it and Chicago soccer fans are fed up with the Fire. So this actually has a good chance to take it, but like SF - it has to be done right.

Fort Lauderdale (like YEG), is reporting actual paid tickets, so I have to give them credit for that. They are moving to the Broward Cricket grounds for rest of the season. Despite the amazing history and sightlines at Lockhart, apparently this stadium is light years ahead in terms of accommodations, so in theory it's an upgrade - http://www.strikers.com/centralbrowardstadium

Flips wrote:
jedinathan wrote:
Flips wrote:

Ah.. you are right. It was the LA Team. Too bad.. because 2 west coast teams would be helpful.

part of me has the biggest hard on for the LA Aztecs brand. Great colors, great logo.
https://www.google.com/search?q=la+azte ... BigB&dpr=1

a decent place for them is out at East LA college. But with LAFC coming in, not sure if this would ever work. However, LA is a massive metro area - my optimistic side believes that 2 MLS, 1 NASL, and a few D3 USL squads could work, especially with the rise of pro soccer.

Mon Aug 08, 2016 2:28 pm
Profile WWW
Super-Star

http://www.nasl.com/news/2016/08/17/ton ... nning-ways

The Rowdies play a midweek fixture against MNUFC, prior to their match this Saturday against FCE. KO 6 MT.

Not sure if we'll be able to watch without a OWS account, but keep tabs on it. Big road points on the line this weekend.

EDIT: Maybe here? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zU_wpFgiCSM

Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:35 am
Reply to topic   [ 48 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next