Reply to topic  [ 174 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next
Ottawa to join the NASL? 
Reservist

http://www.socceramerica.com/article/63 ... -grae.html

Sun Apr 12, 2015 4:00 pm
Super-Star

So word on the street (or Twitter rather) That Ottawa may leave the NASL at the end of the season.

Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:16 am
Super-Star

That's pretty crazy, but they've had issues with finances this year, and it would likely be more feasible from a business perspective to do well financial in something like the USL or potentially CPL than struggle in the NASL. That being said, they're established in the city, have a great fan following, there's no way the brand dies with a demotion.

FCE on the other hand...we'll remain in the NASL with Fath's involvement, and if we were to be demoted, I think the brand would die.

Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:25 am
Super-Star

Not sure if it would die.
As far as ticket sales go and your average Joe family crowd, would they even realize a difference let's we moved down the the USL?

Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:32 am
Super-Star

OnkelDal wrote:
Not sure if it would die.
As far as ticket sales go and your average Joe family crowd, would they even realize a difference?

As I've said, the Fury are pretty well grounded in Ottawa, and I think the average Joe family come for the experience. I think if they would go to USL, they would get a boost from regularly playing Montreal FC or TFC 2.

Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:35 am
Star Player

If and when FCE joins the CSL, it will be a brand new start for the team, playing in a league that joe sports fan can identify with, against teams from Ottawa, Calgary, Winnipeg etc and not "Team Florida" or PR.

Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:10 pm
Substitute

I've been a bit of a critic of the potential CPL. I believe in open borders for US/Canada sports and in a thriving NASL - it would be embraced. But that just doesn't seem to be the case, at least not at this moment.

But at this point, my thinking is changing and CPL may be the only option for FC Ed/Ottawa. I think we forget how massive North America is and travel to Calgary, Winnipeg, Hamilton etc, would make sense more.

Not gonna lie - been a shit week for NASL: Ottawa news, Fort Lauderdale crowd situation, literally crap TV ratings.

I consider myself an NASL fan (want to see the league be a thriving one)... but 2016 has been a tough year. Definitely some positive moments, but in the public eye - lots of events to make the league look weak and unstable.

Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:30 pm
Profile WWW
Star Player

IceFunk wrote:

I consider myself an NASL fan (want to see the league be a thriving one)... but 2016 has been a tough year. Definitely some positive moments, but in the public eye - lots of events to make the league look weak and unstable.

And those events have been far too common for Edmonton sports fans over the years. That, i believe is the main reason why the city has not embraced soccer. 4 times bitten, by the drillers, the Brickmen, the aviators and on and on ad nauseum.

Thu Sep 01, 2016 3:36 pm
Referee

OK lets all take a deep breath.. The Ottawa Citizen just posted an article where they say that Ottawa is staying in the NASL for 2017.

Thu Sep 01, 2016 5:44 pm
Star Player

jedinathan wrote:
OK lets all take a deep breath.. The Ottawa Citizen just posted an article where they say that Ottawa is staying in the NASL for 2017.

Judging by the spin put on by the Fury FO, nothing is certain.
“Ottawa Fury is an NASL franchise and a league member in good standing. Over the last three seasons, Fury has forged strong ties with Ottawa/Gatineau soccer associations and the community at large and those efforts, combined with Fury’s high calibre of play, have established a growing fan base for professional soccer in our region. Our long-term focus is on gaining even greater fan support, this season and in future seasons, starting with (Friday) evening’s match against FC Edmonton at TD Place.”

Thu Sep 01, 2016 7:29 pm
Reply to topic   [ 174 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next