Reply to topic  [ 174 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 18  Next
Ottawa to join the NASL? 
Referee

Watch for an Ottawa team to be announces tomorrow by the NASL. First reaction? Freaking brilliant. I'm glad to see 2 Canadian teams in the league and with the addition of San Antonio the league is growing. Awesome to see.

Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:30 pm
Club Chairman

I saw that post. After last years game against the Fury, which was competative , I kinda hoped they would be looking to progess to higher profile divison. Nice to see they are avoiding the USL. :D

I worry that Five teams in the NCC makes for a mini league though. However it could always be reorganised like a playoff ladder. :lol:

Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:42 pm
Club Chairman

Stobe_Z any chance of Putting an Edit on this thing I keep making sleping mitsakes :x :lol:

Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:45 pm
Manager

I was hoping that would be the case. There has been prospective owners looking to get an MLS team there. This is a big step towards that.

Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:55 pm
Team Owner

albertawhite wrote:
Stobe_Z any chance of Putting an Edit on this thing I keep making sleping mitsakes :x :lol:

There should be a couple of buttons "Edit" and "Quote" on the top right section of each posting... and I split the topic here to focus on Ottawa.

As for Ottawa joining the league, that's awesome news. If we could get Victoria, Edmonton, Calgary, Ottawa and Hamilton in the NASL we'd have a really solid base from which to develop Canadian talent - not to mention a lot better mix of teams from which to start hating some rivals. :D

I am a little surprised that Hamilton isn't the first announcement though...

Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:56 pm
Club Chairman

Problem with that is stobe, that many Canadian teams looks like an Independent Canadian League. Which, lets be honest, Puts canada back into the 1980's and all in the unaffordable quagmire thats puts us where we are now. (I might be a little crazy but I do study this stuff)

Anyway, It would all depend on ...A/ money. As we know the governing body is FIFA and they do like the folding stuff. and B can you sell a USSF league with a significant amount of Canadian Influence? Well hey tonights NHL game identifies that format!

As Canadian Soccer fans what we should understand and absorb within our souls is that Association Football , other than the British Isles, was ratified in Canada before any other country in the World. (Modern Ice Hockey was ratifed in Monteal in 1875 the Dominion Football association was formed in 1877.)
The Canadian Rugby Union. The CRFU, original forerunner to the current Canadian Football League (CFL), was established in 1882.

Well as far as I'm concered the CFL created a new game so Ya BOO SUCKS!True canadian sport ... Soccer and Hockey! true Canadian sports tell me otherwise*

By the way FC Edomton has been Added to the Wikipedia page on Canadian Soccer

*Truth be told I do prefer CLF to NHL (But not ice hockey). Its the free flowing three down rule. It reminds me of the 6 tackle turnover in Rugby League.

Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:49 pm
Team Owner

Well, I think those are the most likely Canadian NASL markets. However, I do think we'd need several American teams as well. ;)

Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:04 am
Ball Boy

5 pro teams in Canada is only good for our national team. God knows they need all the help they can get.

Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:41 am
Team Owner

Well, I think it's important to the CMNT directly, I think it's also important in terms of building the profile and stability of the sport in Canada. I'm pretty sure a 3-team Division 1 could be supported by a 5/6 team Division 2 (Victoria, Edmonton, Calgary, Ottawa, Hamilton and Quebec City), especially if the 5/6 Canadian teams play in a 16 team league or so.

Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:15 am
Referee

woops... Got excited by the news and wrote that it was announced today... CSN actually reported it to be announced on Monday.
Great for Canadian Soccer though. I know that the Canadian D2 league is a greatly debated topic. I would love to see one, but I think having 2 teams in any D2 league is good for professional and amature soccer alike in Canada. Gives some of the youngins (see FC Edmonton) a chance to go pro and get more experience at a higher level.

Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:42 am
Reply to topic   [ 174 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 18  Next