Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
Minneapolis to be awarded MLS franchise this week? 
#1 Hanson Boakai fan

Multiple reports on Twitter that Minneapolis will be granted an MLS expansion club this week. Bad news for NASL if true. Atlanta and Minnesota potentially gone in the next few years.

Have to wonder what will happen in the next few years for NASL. With San Antonio and Indy looking at moving to MLS, could be back down under 10 teams.

John Bonnes ‏@TwinsGeek · 34m34 minutes ago
BREAKING: MLS and #United will hold a press conference on Wednesday to announce Mpls is the newest expansion team! http://northernpitch.com/_/minnesota-so ... nesday-r92

Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:35 am
Super-Star

Additionally, it'll probably be United themselves who will be in the MLS. To tack onto the story, the Minnesota Vikings of the NFL had initially been the front runners to own an MLS club in the Twin City area (think Katz group having ownership stake in the Edmonton Capitals Baseball team). This all surrounded the fact that a new stadium was being built that would play host to the Vikings. Over the course of the discussions,(to my understanding) the relationship between the NFL and the MLS soured, and the MLS elected to give MNUFC an opportunity to show their worth. At this moment, it looks like there will be a "promotion" to the first tier.

My opinion, I think this is generally good. While the NASL loses a team, and will likely lose the Silverbacks as well, a true "promotion" shows the continuing growth of the modern NASL. As I noted in another thread, western expansion is on the horizon, which consists of a an existing team in San Fran. Overall, I think this signifies good things to come in the NASL.

Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:52 am
Manager

Minnesota will still be in the league a few more years and NASL will be adding teams during that time. Its to be expected that a club or 2 will move to MLS in the coming years but expansion is leveling off for MLS soon and they're lots of markets still available to NASL for expansion.

They need to go into markets without MLS franchises and continue to add strong stable clubs like the last 2 years in Ottawa, Indy, and Jacksonville.

Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:25 pm
Super-Star

FC Eddy Fan wrote:
Minnesota will still be in the league a few more years and NASL will be adding teams during that time. Its to be expected that a club or 2 will move to MLS in the coming years but expansion is leveling off for MLS soon and they're lots of markets still available to NASL for expansion.

They need to go into markets without MLS franchises and continue to add strong stable clubs like the last 2 years in Ottawa, Indy, and Jacksonville.

I absolutely agree. That being said, it looks like NASL clubs are being picked off to join the MLS at this point, with Atlanta joining, now Minnesota, and recently the Scorpions have come out saying they're looking for new owners, and given their stadium expansion, looking for that "promotion." Is this sort of "mushroom" population of the NASL a good thing? Where one is cut off and another springs in its place. Another concern comes up in being in competition with the USL to populate markets.

Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:10 am
Super-Star

It's official, Minnesota United to begin play in MLS at the start of the 2018 season.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2 ... -minnesota

Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:56 am
Super-Star

"Major League Soccer said Monday that it is holding to a July 1 deadline for a Minnesota group to finalize its plan for a soccer-only stadium in Minneapolis, opening the possibility the league may look elsewhere should that not happen."

http://www.startribune.com/major-league ... 307398531/

Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:03 am
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]