Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
What is your favourite MLS team? 
Trialist

foreverthursday wrote:
GabryParker wrote:
What does everyone think about the MLS kit deal with Adidas?

I love Adidas but 20 teams wearing the same 2-3 templates is just boring

What are you talking about? What two MLS kits are close? The MLS kits aren't boring and abrasive like filthy Series A kits. Real Salt Lake has amazing imaginative design. I love the Union's jersey, I love Seattle's (which is very original), and the kits that are boring to me (D.C., Colorado, and San Jose) are still exciting compared to ADIDAS kits in England. A solid colour with stripes, whoooo.

DC United's TFC's Away shirts are exactly the same as Houston's Kansas's & Chicago's Home they all have the same damn collar!

And of course RBNY is the exact same as RBS

Only a couple of teams have original jerseys..

I Support Liverpool FC AS Roma & FC Edmonton

Public Enemy #1!

Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:55 pm
Manager

I don't see what you mean about Toronto's and DC's being exactly the same (other than colors, as far as the 2012 kits go).

And collars don't seem to matter a whole lot to me, but maybe Reebok has completely desensitized me to that with the Edge jerseys in the NHL.

Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:15 pm
Manager

After I read Steve Sandor's article on MLS looking at Canada http://the11.ca/2012/03/16/with-canadian-franchise-successes-mls-feels-more-and-more-like-the-nhl/, I started wondering about what merchandise sales are for teams in the MLS. I really want to know for the more popular teams too. Teams like the Union, Toronto FC, the Whitecaps, the Sounders, and the Timbers. Because I did that scan 360 of the Rogers Centre after the CCL game, and there were thousands of jerseys and scarfs. An MLS jeresy can be anywhere from $60 to $140, and MLS teams sell their scarves for $25 instead of $20.

Edit: I do think this important, because the Winnipeg Jets and the Saskatchewan Roughriders are floating beautifully because of merchandise sales more so then tickets sales. Ticket sales help, but everyone buys merchandise.

Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:26 am
Club Chairman

Indeed,
Even tourist Buy Merchandise.

an FCE Pod in the WEM would be a start.

Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:53 am
Manager

Do MLS teams even see direct profit from their merchandise sales? Or is it all collected by the league and shared amongst all the teams? MLS seems like the type of league that would push for that kind of thing.

Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:05 am
Manager

ahuber wrote:
Do MLS teams even see direct profit from their merchandise sales? Or is it all collected by the league and shared amongst all the teams? MLS seems like the type of league that would push for that kind of thing.

I agree. Which seems very unfair to the Union, Toronto FC, the Sounders, and the Timbers. All of whom sell a lot of merchandise. I have a few hundred dollars of Whitecaps and Toronto FC merchandise myself.

Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:14 am
Manager

Speaking of TFC merch, has anyone seen their new white jersey? They have yet to wear it in a game, but it looks like a definite improvement on the last ones.

Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:17 am
Substitute

ahuber wrote:

For merchandise...
I think all the wholesale costs/profits go to MLS, but then the merch that's sold by teams in their own stadium is raw profit on the retail markup to the local club. I think the stuff that's sold outside of the stadium in non-team-owned stores, the local team doesn't get any cut other than the general wholesale pricing that all teams share, but this is more of a educated guess...

For ticket sales...
1/3 go to the league
2/3 to kept by the team.

Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:22 am
Profile WWW
Manager

IceFunk wrote:
ahuber wrote:

For merchandise...
I think all the wholesale costs/profits go to MLS, but then the merch that's sold by teams in their own stadium is raw profit on the retail markup to the local club. I think the stuff that's sold outside of the stadium in non-team-owned stores, the local team doesn't get any cut other than the general wholesale pricing that all teams share, but this is more of a educated guess...

For ticket sales...
1/3 go to the league
2/3 to kept by the team.

The league as a whole is "profitable," but only three clubs aren't "losing money." These are in quotes because they are misnomers to begin with. "Profit" and "loss" don't actually mean profit and loss. A "loss" could still be profit that didn't meet goals or was a last minute bonus to the club before filing taxes. I bet there is only four teams actually losing money. FC Dallas, Colorado, DC United, and Chivas USA.

Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:28 am
Club Chairman

ahuber wrote:

The later; that in essence is what defines it as a franchaise League as oppose to the EPL model where clubs are in charge of their own finances.

Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:29 am
Reply to topic   [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next