Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
World cup to expand to 48 teams for 2026 
Starting XI

http://www.fifa.com/about-fifa/news/y=2017/m=1/news=fifa-council-unanimously-decides-on-expansion-of-the-fifa-world-cuptm--2863100.html

How on earth did I forget to post about this? For 2026, Fifa will expand the world cup to 48 teams, playing in groups of 3. The mini-group winners going to the round of 16.

Personally, I can't get over this. It's clearly an effort to make the tournament more profitable, by having more matches and more countries interested. The expansion will put teams that would literally never qualify into the tournament.

Does this mean Canada could sneak in easier? Probably, the exact allocation of spots is to be determined, with UEFA lobbying for more than their share of them. But honestly, it doesn't excite me. It would be a hollow victory compared to Canada earning their way in under the old format, which makes it pretty difficult for them to get in. There's lots of time left until 2026, here's hoping FIFA change their minds.

EDIT: Nope, got that wrong, the top TWO from each group go into the round of 32, for even more games. Christ on crutches.....

Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:52 pm
Super-Star

I can hear it already...

"Canada only made it because of the new 48 team format"

Or

"Canada is so shit that they can't even quality for a 48 team World Cup"

I personally don't like this format. As a Canadian national team supporter, I'd rather us earn a spot besides having it made easier for us.

Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:51 pm
Super-Star

Hey man, whatever gets people watching Canadian soccer. I don't think we're going to convert any of the Euro-centric fans (however, I was converted), but this is a great opportunity for people new to the sport or those who only had a casual interest to grow in the excitement.

Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:49 am
Trialist

why isn't this thread in international soccer
viewforum.php?f=11

Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:14 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]