Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
Discuss: The UEFA Big 5 & European Competition 
Super-Star

I want to have a chat about the big European leagues, and comparing their relative entertainment value.

The way I see it, in the current climate, you can either have competitive domestic leagues, or challenge in European competitions. A lot has changed since Chelsea won the CL/EL in 2012/2013.

In the PL, the final point totals of the Top 5/6 has been regressing since 2014, and that may be in due part to more equitable revenue sharing within the Prem. The result of that tho, is that English teams are under-represented in the critical stages of the European cups. This year, only 1 English team each in the European quarter finals. In the year before, Everton in the R16 of Europa and neither Arsenal/Chelsea/ManCity made the quarters. The Prem itself however, has become more competitive, with point variance across the table becoming much tighter.

Comparing it to the "big clubs" in their respective domestic leagues, Barca and RM have been running away with it for so long, and only now are Atletico threatening. Spain's "Europa squads" (5th-7th) are a cut above the rest of the table. This indicates that Spanish clubs prime themselves for European competition over domestic. Germany sees similar, 1-4 are a cut above the rest and have been for a stretch of years now. France is particularly interesting in that if not for the PSG investment and resulting domination, Ligue 1 would be extremely competitive and entertaining. That being said, PSG are only 4 years into their domestic dominance, and are still building for European strong-holding. Serie A consistently sees 2-3 teams dominating, and the rest of the table bunching together. The conclusion of all these "cut aways" makes for somewhat boring and predictable domestic leagues, and making the CL the only stage on which to enjoy the battle of the giants. But, CL fixtures are spaced out. Week by week we need to endure dominance by a handful of teams, which becomes exhaustively boring and typical.

The result is that I've quite enjoyed the Prem this season. The Top 5 have struggled, and this took a hit in European competition, but made for 38 weeks of generally unpredictable matches. I almost prefer that over seeing giants fight it out every once in a while. A UEFA "Super League" would be fine for me if the clubs with the biggest banks could simply secede from their domestic leagues. Forget "history," this is modern football, and the reality is that having these mega clubs waters down the traditional leagues.

EDIT: See my charting on the Big 5 European leagues. I graph point distribution and position variation of the clubs.
https://goo.gl/R0QbT0

Fri May 20, 2016 10:33 am
Super-Star

Ah, the plights of modern football.

RB Leipzig have 52.38€m in debt to Red Bull and need to massively increase revenues to avoid conflict with the Financial Fair Play agreement.

FFP(Financial Fair Play) is in place to prevent clubs that qualify for European competitions from spending beyond their means. More specifically, it attempts to prevent teams from buying up players beyond their means and reporting losses as a result. The consequences of breaching can be severe, and have ranged from ban from competition, withholding of prize money, and transfer bans.

Leipzig have to make up that amount of money through some means (increased sponsorship being most likely) in order to comply with the rules and to avoid the (beyond financially) costly consequences.

http://www.mz-web.de/sport/rb-leipzig-o ... --26229966

Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:56 am
Super-Star

Miami's 'El Clasico' a blatant cash grab and everything that's wrong with American soccer

"The person going to this game is the type that gets up at seven in the morning to watch Arsenal vs. Chelsea at Fado in Center City Philadelphia. He probably has a Theo Walcott jersey that he also wears to the noon pickup game at YSC Sports. This guy is a diehard soccer fan who couldn't give a rat's ass about the Philadelphia Union and probably thinks that 'the MLS sucks.'"

http://www.phillyvoice.com/miamis-el-cl ... an-soccer/

Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:23 am
Starting XI

ThatDaveCh wrote:
Miami's 'El Clasico' a blatant cash grab and everything that's wrong with American soccer

"The person going to this game is the type that gets up at seven in the morning to watch Arsenal vs. Chelsea at Fado in Center City Philadelphia. He probably has a Theo Walcott jersey that he also wears to the noon pickup game at YSC Sports. This guy is a diehard soccer fan who couldn't give a rat's ass about the Philadelphia Union and probably thinks that 'the MLS sucks.'"

http://www.phillyvoice.com/miamis-el-cl ... an-soccer/

Hopefully better late than never, but those ticket prices are just CRAZY. There's no other word for it. For 1000 US, you could get at least a flex pack to anything you wanted, and season's tickets to more than a few things in the Miami area. I wonder how many people have zero clue this is a preseason game.

Wed May 10, 2017 10:20 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]