Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Canadian Premier League to begin in 2017 or 2018 
Trialist

ranul wrote:
I would prefer to watch Canadian players then imported players that are here to just make a quick buck and don't care about the country .

I respectfully disagree. Odell Willis and Kareem Moses were fan favorites and they were the beating hearts of their team, at least towards the respective fanbases; neither of them are from Canada. I want quality play that challenges Canadians to be better, but I also want Canada to have its own league. I don't believe FCE are a part of that and I don't think this club ever will be. The city of Edmonton eventually, perhaps. But the Eddies? I don't think so.

Sun Apr 10, 2016 1:22 am
Super-Star

http://www.rednationonline.ca/Articles2 ... ntsP1.aspx

"If rumours are true then the CPL will be backed by substantially richer ownership that will likely be spending more money on talent than most current NASL teams can afford. The average NASL contract is for around $52,000(CAD) and rumours place the CPL proposed average between $60-80,000(CAD)."

Thu May 26, 2016 7:14 am
Star Player

ThatDaveCh wrote:
http://www.rednationonline.ca/Articles2016/MoreCanadianPremierLeaguetalkingpointsP1.aspx

"If rumours are true then the CPL will be backed by substantially richer ownership that will likely be spending more money on talent than most current NASL teams can afford. The average NASL contract is for around $52,000(CAD) and rumours place the CPL proposed average between $60-80,000(CAD)."

Well written article, but he makes it sound like the CPL is already a done deal with Edmonton left out in the cold. He does say that Edmonton and/or Quebec City/Moncton could get expansion franchises down the road, but i suspect the Fath's are going to the see the writing on the wall before that, if and when Ottawa Fury jump to the CPL.
They would be silly to continue paying outrageous travel fees (USD) only to come home to near empty Clark park for games against such sterling rivals as San Antonio, Miami, FTL or OKC. And even if the salaries are slightly higher,competition against Montreal, Toronto, Vancouver, Calgary et al would be much more palatable to Edmonton fans and I think the family knows it.

Thu May 26, 2016 12:40 pm
Super-Star

italk2u wrote:
ThatDaveCh wrote:
http://www.rednationonline.ca/Articles2016/MoreCanadianPremierLeaguetalkingpointsP1.aspx

Well written article, but he makes it sound like the CPL is already a done deal with Edmonton left out in the cold. He does say that Edmonton and/or Quebec City/Moncton could get expansion franchises down the road, but i suspect the Fath's are going to the see the writing on the wall before that, if and when Ottawa Fury jump to the CPL.
They would be silly to continue paying outrageous travel fees (USD) only to come home to near empty Clark park for games against such sterling rivals as San Antonio, Miami, FTL or OKC. And even if the salaries are slightly higher,competition against Montreal, Toronto, Vancouver, Calgary et al would be much more palatable to Edmonton fans and I think the family knows it.

The proposed higher salaries which makes the league potentially more attractive to higher class players certainly changes my outlook on this CPL. I don't know how playing in a domestic league will reduce travel costs and increase marketability. Domestic flying is ass, and the marketing is going to be an uphill battle.

Thu May 26, 2016 1:39 pm
Star Player

ThatDaveCh wrote:
italk2u wrote:
ThatDaveCh wrote:

The proposed higher salaries which makes the league potentially more attractive to higher class players certainly changes my outlook on this CPL. I don't know how playing in a domestic league will reduce travel costs and increase marketability. Domestic flying is ass, and the marketing is going to be an uphill battle.

Simple math...the further you have to fly, and the more times you have to fly, the more it costs.
FCE has the highest travel costs in the NASL and most of it is in USD. In a canadian league it would be CDN.
Marketing a game to Edmonton fans against Calgary is a heck of lot easier than against OKC.

Thu May 26, 2016 4:26 pm
Coach

I am impressed with your faith in a Canadian league but not sure that the argument rings true, but time will tell

Fri May 27, 2016 7:36 am
Ball Boy

italk2u wrote:
Simple math...the further you have to fly, and the more times you have to fly, the more it costs.
FCE has the highest travel costs in the NASL and most of it is in USD. In a canadian league it would be CDN.
Marketing a game to Edmonton fans against Calgary is a heck of lot easier than against OKC.

I believe this as well - local rivalries are a much easier sell. I think I've mentioned this before, but Trappers/Cannons games were always a hit and Edmonton's no baseball city.

I'm very excited for a Canadian league and would be wildly disappointed if Edmonton didn't have a team in it.

Sat May 28, 2016 3:04 pm
Super-Star

Confirmed this morning

A. Totera
Boom Sources seconds ago confirm to me that the first phase of the Canadian pro league is done target date for 2018 ⚽️ #CPL

Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:18 am
Super-Star

Why is this in the FC Edmonton section? :lol:

Thu Sep 08, 2016 1:45 pm
Referee

OnkelDal wrote:
Why is this in the FC Edmonton section? :lol:

Moved

Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:07 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next