Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Canadian Premier League to begin in 2017 or 2018 
Super-Star

My 2 cents:

I'm stunned to have heard that whatever groups is putting this league together hasn't at least been in conversation with FCE. I can't imagine that this Canadian Prem wouldn't consider having a team in Edmonton, either at inception or down the road.

That being said, I feel that (finally) FCE is on the verge of blossoming in this city. I don't really want to list the reasons, but this season looks promising from a "butts in seats" standpoint. This team looks to be close to seeming some success, and that's been the goal since Day 1. As mentioned by Nathan, those collected Expansion fees help the financial situation. What Edmonton needs is a stable footy franchise to prove that it can last in this city (and as we know, it is the longest running professional footy franchise this city has seen).

However, the travel costs have got to be a huge hit. While flying all over Canada isn't much cheaper, the difference is still there. And if Ottawa closes its NASL shop for a CPL one, I think there'd be pressure on FCE to do similar.

From a supporters standpoint, it's either one or the other. The FCE brand wouldn't carry over, so our merch would "expire," along with the brand identity that already exists, but there's that sense of "greater good." I think it'd be crazy difficult to sell a U23 league, given the challenges we've faced marketing the current FCE. There's no way this city can support two soccer franchises (not until at least 2020, if not further), so it's an ultimatum. Personally, I want FCE to remain standing. It has suffered its bumps and bruises, but it is growing in this difficult market.

From the team standpoint, if Fath were to dismantle FCE for a CPL team, I wouldn't be surprised if we'd have to cut everyone, coaches included. The proposed salary budget for players is $1.5M. One also has to wonder what would happen with the academy if that were to happen.

Bottom line, regardless of whether this CPL launches (and I pray it does), FCE needs to keep trucking on until the CPL matches the quality of play. Or who knows, by then we may be flirting MLS?

Fri Feb 19, 2016 6:21 pm
Coach

Two things:
1) unionizing would be bad for the players as it would be a step towards the MLS model as it would need to be collectively bargained. Doubt other league players re unionized.
2) FCED is a club, not a franchise and would be free to switch leagues without needing to rebrand.

Sat Feb 20, 2016 11:23 am
Super-Star

Flips wrote:
2) FCED is a club, not a franchise and would be free to switch leagues without needing to rebrand.

Ah well if this is the case, then all the goodwill generated within the city wouldn't be lost.

That being said, would FCE be able to survive a drop from being (at that point) a near MLS equivalent to being essentially a current PDL squad? The Oil Kings don't draw anywhere near what the Oilers do, and I think the drop in interest and attendance would be similar.

Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:58 pm
Star Player

With all due respect, the eddies are an NASL franchise, just as the oilers are an NHL franchise. Both are privately owned and operate within the guidelines of the league they are in. Probably just semantics anyway.

Thu Feb 25, 2016 4:43 pm
Coach

from Wikipedia:
Franchising, a business method that involves licensing of trademarks and methods of doing business, such as:
    Chain store, retail outlets which share a brand and central management
    Rail franchising in Great Britain

In sport:

Franchise, a term for a team in the type of professional sports league organization most commonly found in North America; see North American professional sports league organization
    Franchise player, a player on such a team around whom an entire competitive squad can be built
    Franchise tag, a designation of a player in the US National Football League whose contract is soon to expire that binds him to the team for one year at an enhanced salary
League franchise, a local or regional business franchising operation under a particular sporting league in activities such as pool, darts, etc.

Thu Mar 03, 2016 2:07 pm
Star Player

Call me cynical but I'll believe it when I see it. But when this Canadian Premier League does decide to set up and if it puts a team in Victoria, my extremely biased opinion would be in favour of FCEd going over to the CPL so I could watch the Eddies in Victoria.

Wed Mar 09, 2016 1:54 am
Coach

I came across this graphic on the wsa winnipeg twitter account https://twitter.com/WSAWinnipeg/status/ ... 0314855425
It appears to be a blogger and by retweeting, it would seem as if wsa winnipeg endorses the concept. It makes for an interesting point to begin a conversation.

Sun Mar 27, 2016 2:31 pm
Referee

jamonty wrote:
I came across this graphic on the wsa winnipeg twitter account https://twitter.com/WSAWinnipeg/status/ ... 0314855425
It appears to be a blogger and by retweeting, it would seem as if wsa winnipeg endorses the concept. It makes for an interesting point to begin a conversation.

Looks interesting and I like the idea but I don't gt excited until it actually happens.
FCE won't make the move, at least not for a few years and until the Canadian league is at the level of the NASL, Fath has to much invested in it.

Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:18 am
Profile WWW
Super-Star

How much does league performance factor into this?
We've had a great offseason, signing some bigger players, and I'm sure they need healthy wages. But what if it's not enough? We've seen a massive increase in the quality of the rest of the league as well, and according to essentially all preseason rankings I've seen, we're scraping the bottom of the barrel. At what point does it not become feasible for Fath? Can we draw in sponsors if we simply haven't set the bar high enough?

Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:18 am
Ball Boy

I would prefer to watch Canadian players then imported players that are here to just make a quick buck and don't care about the country .

Sun Apr 03, 2016 9:31 pm
Reply to topic   [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next