Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Canadian Premier League to begin in 2017 or 2018 
Substitute

http://www.thespec.com/news-story/62610 ... lton-home/

The 6-8 team league is to have a mix of deep pocketed NHL and CFL owners, will have a Canadian Content requirement and Canadian managers/coaches.

We all know where Fath fits in with the NASL and we know FCEd will most likely stay there, but this is huge for Canadian soccer and there will be effects to the Eddies. Especially if some nosy local deep pocketed NHL team owner tries to get on board with the CPL. I'd rather he stay out of it altogether.

It's exciting for Canadian soccer however and if it can survive I can see nothing but benefits for the game here.

Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:36 am
Referee

With the podcast, I've been following this pretty closely (or at least more than just a topical awareness).
Here's my 2 cents:

- There is NO WAY (and I MEAN NO WAY) that this is going to launch with anywhere close to the same level as the NASL. The rumor has been 75% of players must be Canadian. Unless you're taking the national team and splitting them up, there just aren't enough quality Canadian players right now. Otherwise Ottawa and Edmonton would be made up of them for cost reasons. To my mind, it doesn't matter what the budget is, if you have to agree to that quota, it will be at least 5 years until you see something comparable to today's NASL.
- To say that it is going to be announced "in the next 4 months" and then also say that it will start play in 2017 is laughable as well. We're talking a league that has ONE (potential) club right now (Ottawa). That's a LOT of stuff to do in under 10 months (if it was announced tomorrow), and in my opinion, impossible to do in 6 (the longer side of the 4 months).
- This will benefit FC Edmonton. We've complained for YEARS about the club developing players, but not having anyone to sell them too. We now have 6-8 clubs that will be ready and willing to buy Canadian players, and what better place to get them from, but a professional academy, who has shown time and time again that it can develop national level players. This is a great opportunity for FCEd to lead by example.
- I don't know where but I have heard (or at least created it in my own mind) that this league has no interest in partnering with either Katz or the Eskimos, but rather would prefer to work with the Faths on a potential club. I think if the league is solid for 3-5 years, the Faths would have to look seriously at joining, depending on how the dollar does. I do recall hearing a rumor somewhere (couldn't tell you where now) that Katz had actually put a lowball offer in on FCEd, but that Fath turned him down. So I dunno how much this will matter in Edmonton.
- Assuming that the Flames are one of the ownership groups, this FINALLY creates a fantastic rivalry (potentially two) in the V Cup games (Flames club, as well as Foothills potentially). That alone will help FCEd massively in attendance and awareness.

Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:18 pm
Star Player

I fall under the "I'll believe it when I see" and "I'll care when it exists in my back yard" camps.

Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:00 pm
Super-Star

^ I've got a similar sentiment. I really want this league to happen, but right now, it just seems like a pile of sticks. Also, unless there's a team present in 2 of Toronto, Montreal, and Vancouver/Victoria, it will never reach "1A" status.

Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:15 pm
Manager

I'm cautiously excited. I can't see this being quite on par with NASL right away. But if it's one or two steps down, I wonder how possible it would be for FCE to have a reserve/development squad in this league.

Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:04 pm
Super-Star

What I think it actually an important discussion for Edmonton footy fans and the ESG alike is:

What will happen in Edmonton with this league launching? Does FCE continue in the NASL? Or, do we join the Canadian league?
What do the supporters want? What do we think the Faths want to do?

Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:12 pm
Referee

I had a stupid long response for this, but it timed out when I had to meet with one of my staff. So the simple response:
- Fath is too invested in NASL (expansion fees help him, rumored B shares also help)
- Can't imagine that Fath wants to do another launching of a league, particularly where he's the established club
- From what I've heard, the contact between this League and Fath has been less than positive.

From supporters:
- I want to make sure that this is stable and there's a long term plan.
- Honestly I don't care. I'll support FCEd no matter what.
- I don't believe that there will be an Edmonton club that does not include FCEd/Faths. I'm 99% sure of that.

For the rest of Canada:
- This will benefit FCEd (able to sell more Canadian players)
- V Cup games are gonna rock if we get Calgary.

Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:26 pm
Star Player

jedinathan wrote:
I had a stupid long response for this, but it timed out when I had to meet with one of my staff. So the simple response:
- Fath is too invested in NASL (expansion fees help him, rumored B shares also help)
- Can't imagine that Fath wants to do another launching of a league, particularly where he's the established club
- From what I've heard, the contact between this League and Fath has been less than positive.

In the end though, the bottom line may be the determining factor. I worry how long Fath will continue to throw 100'sK down the drain on travel costs. The canuck buck has to be killing him. If he is paying his internationals in US dollars that's a another big drain on the budget. I know he loves soccer, but if someone comes along with a bailout or partnership offer(i.e.Eskimos), he would have to atleast think about it.

From supporters:
- I want to make sure that this is stable and there's a long term plan.
- Honestly I don't care. I'll support FCEd no matter what.
- I don't believe that there will be an Edmonton club that does not include FCEd/Faths. I'm 99% sure of that.

Agreed!

For the rest of Canada:
- This will benefit FCEd (able to sell more Canadian players)
- V Cup games are gonna rock if we get Calgary.

You got that right!

Fri Feb 19, 2016 1:11 pm
Referee

Actually Miller made it very clear that FCEd pays its players (regardless if they're international or domestic) in Canadian dollars. You can hear him say it on Ep 49 of the Loyal Company of the River Valley podcast.

There's a very limited number of interested parties in Edmonton that would be interested to me. I could see a partnership in terms of co-promotion with Esks, but that's about it. I believe they're still community owned, so it would need a TON of approval to go through.

No inside info, but thinking about how much Fath has made off of expansion within the league, I'm not convinced that he's lost all that much recently. Some to be sure, but I'm sure that its nothing that he makes back with his other investments, let alone his other companies.

Fri Feb 19, 2016 2:24 pm
Star Player

jedinathan wrote:
Actually Miller made it very clear that FCEd pays its players (regardless if they're international or domestic) in Canadian dollars. You can hear him say it on Ep 49 of the Loyal Company of the River Valley podcast.

Well let's say the average team salary level, player-wise is a cool million USD(excluding the Cosmos, Minnesota and maybe Tampa)'
Based on todays exchange rate that works out an even cooler 1.376 million CDN. Factor in travel expenses(transportation, meals etc) paid out in USD except in Ottawa.
I gotta believe FCE's total expenses are the highest in the league(excepting the 3 teams above). While i don't doubt Fath's veracity and deep pockets, I really wonder whether joining this s0-called CSL might not be a more fiscally responsible route to take. Yes, the quality would be down a little, but look how quickly the quality of play has increased in the NASL since FCE came on board.

There's a very limited number of interested parties in Edmonton that would be interested to me. I could see a partnership in terms of co-promotion with Esks, but that's about it. I believe they're still community owned, so it would need a TON of approval to go through.

The concept of community ownership is a moot point, the Esks did not get community approval to spend over a million on new turf and put in new seats
No inside info, but thinking about how much Fath has made off of expansion within the league, I'm not convinced that he's lost all that much recently. Some to be sure, but I'm sure that its nothing that he makes back with his other investments, let alone his other companies.

[color=#0000FF]In the end, if the NASL would be more transparent in their dealings with the fans, we probablly wouldn't even be having this discussion. can see a time when this will have to change, especially if the players decide to unionize.[/color

Last edited by italk2u on Fri Feb 19, 2016 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Feb 19, 2016 5:55 pm
Reply to topic   [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next